Sunday, March 27, 2011

David Bertucci

David Bertucci March 24, 2011 Narrative Essay On a Sunday morning in the fall of 2005. I woke up to the smell of my mother cooking me breakfast for my Pop Warner Football game against the Hyde Park Cowboys. I played quarterback for the West Roxbury Falcons. It was our second game of the season. I left my house ready to play the game at around 9:00. I couldn’t wait to play this game, Hyde Park was our rival’s. Both teams hated each other. We where playing them at there home field in Hyde Park. As we pulled up to there field I could hear there fans yelling and screaming. I love to play football my whole family does all my cousins uncle they all played and went to college on a football scholarship. I got to the field to see half of my team warming up and the other half of the team looked like they just woke up. At half time the score was 14 to 0. We where losing. We had the ball to begin the second half. The first play was a tight end pop pass. I said “Hut” and the center snapped the ball. Not one of my line men threw a block for me. I tried to make something happed so I threw the ball and my arm hit the other guy’s helmet. I didn’t know it yet but my arm was broken in two places. I rolled around on the ground for 5 minutes waiting for the paramedic to come which was actually a person who worked at the concession stand. They told me to hold my arm and they moved me to the bench where they cut my jersey off and put ice on my neck to prevent me from going into shock. I took one glance at my arm and I knew it was broken it was one of the nastiest things ive ever seen. My arm literately looked like a U. After about 10 minutes the EMT’S showed up. They put me on the stretcher and took me to the ambulance. I felt like it took forever to get to the hospital, and when I finally got there I didn’t feel much better. They took me to the x ray room. When the asked me to move my arm if I tried to move it, it felt like somebody was beating it with a bat. After about an hour of waiting the doctor walks in fresh out of surgery and says there going to operate on my arm. He throws a picture of the x ray up. I almost threw up when I saw one of my fore arm bones snapped and hit the other one causing that one to break as well. The last thing I remember seeing was the picture of my arm and then I was knocked out. When I woke up I had a cast on my arm and my mother and father where there. They made me leave in a wheelchair. When I got home I couldn’t sleep. That’s how it was for the next 4 months until they took my cast of in December. Every Friday I had to go to physical therapy to help my arm heal. The first time they cut the cast off I was scared. I heard a saw and I thought they where going to take my arm off but they just cut the cast off instead. I’ll never forget that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment